Library Catalog: Tips and Tricks
New Catalog Video Tutorial
Get the most out of your searches
Looking for something specific?
Try these tools for customizing, personalizing and saving your favorite searches.
Sort your search results by:
- Best Match
- Newest First
- Oldest First
- Date Added
- Call Number
- Total Checkouts
- User Rating
Do you look for the same kind of items every month?
If you always want to find the newest Mystery novels or DVDs, you can create and then save a search to your account:
1. Start an empty search by clicking on GO.
2. Choose your search parameters using “Sort Results By” and
3. “Narrow Your Results” options.
4. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on “Save Search.”
You can sort and save the Library’s Browse Lists the same way.
You can also view your search results as all covers.
or a list with covers
or a list with no covers.
Reading Your Search Results
What’s with the catalog display that groups items together?
What’s a Title Group?
The new catalog groups all the different formats of the same title together: Book, eBook, Audiobook, eAudiobook, and Large Type, so that you can easily find many versions of the same book. The Title Group is like an umbrella, under which all the formats hang out:
Click on the blue Format button (Book, eBook, etc) to find information about the specific version of the title you’re looking for, including call numbers and copy due dates:
A note about Title Groups: DVDs of films based on a book are not grouped within a Title Group, because they are not actually a matching text.
Similarly, an updated edition of a book or DVD will have its own Title Group.
Going on vacation and don’t want to lose your place in line? Simply place a Freeze on your holds.
1. Log in to My Account.
2. View your holds.
3. Check the box in the Freeze column for each hold that you’d like to freeze.
4. If there is no box to check to freeze the item then the item is not eligible to be frozen. Items that are available, in transit, or on the hold shelf cannot be frozen.
5. Click on Update List.
6. To reactivate your holds, log in to My Account, uncheck your items and click on Update List.