Santa Fe Public Library now lends laptops and hotspots to Santa Fe County library card holders.
The Santa Fe Public Library is dedicated to connecting our community with technology and access to meet their personal and professional needs. The library has purchased laptops and hotspots through Cares Act and other funding to expand access to technology and the internet for our users.
The Tech Connect program makes laptops and hotspots available to check out for FREE to SFPL cardholders 18 and older (with SFPL library card, photo ID, and proof of address in Santa Fe County).
Laptops and hotspots can be checked out for 2 weeks and must be returned to a staff member at the library branch that they were borrowed from. Patrons may only borrow each technology once in a 28 day period.
There are also 2 Express Checkout laptops at each location that can be used for up to one hour within the library for document or internet access needs.
There is no charge to borrow technology, however, fees/costs will be charged for late, damaged, lost, or stolen equipment. There are a limited number of laptops and hotspots available for checkout at each library location and late fees will help to promote punctual returns of technology.
Upon check out, the borrower must sign an agreement assuming full responsibility for the equipment and any accessories. This includes financial responsibility for replacing an item if lost or stolen and/or for repair costs of damaged items.
To place a hold on a laptop and/or hotspot, patrons may call their library branch or place a hold with their online library account:
Main Library, 505-955-6785; La Farge, 505-955-4860; Southside, 505-955-2810
If you’ve used our technology please fill out the survey on your experience with the Santa Fe Public Library’s Tech Connect program at: https://tinyurl.com/SFPLTechConnect.
Technology Lending Guidelines and Agreement
The Santa Fe Public Library is dedicated to connecting our community with innovative technology and access to meet their personal and professional needs. There is no charge to borrow technology, however, fees/costs will be charged for late, damaged, lost, or stolen equipment.
Upon check out, the borrower assumes full responsibility for the equipment and any accessories. This includes financial responsibility for replacing an item if lost or stolen and/or for repair costs of damaged items.
Guidelines for Borrowing and Use of Library Technology:
- Borrowers must be at least 18 years old.
- A valid Santa Fe Public Library card with current address is required.
- Library account should be in good standing.
- A valid government issued ID with picture and proof of a current Santa Fe County address must be presented.
- Equipment is available at each library location. These technologies must be checked out and signed with a library staff member and must be returned to and signed back in with a library staff member. Technology items CANNOT be returned in the afterhours book drop.
- Borrowers are required to read, understand, and sign this Agreement in the presence of a library staff member.
Time Limits and Availability
- In order to allow maximum access to the community, technology may be borrowed for 14 days. Technology items are non-renewable.
- Each household (address) may borrow only one of each (hotspot/laptop) or tablet at a time.
If an item is overdue for five (5) days, fees will be charged starting on the sixth (6th) day. If you are unable to make your scheduled return appointment, please contact the library.
- Late items will be charged at $5.00/day for each piece of technology checked out. Fines for technology items will not be waived.
- Returns of technology must be done in person. Improper return of technology to a to book drop $25.00 for each piece of technology checked out.
- Lost or damaged technology or accessories (See itemized checklist)
- $100.00 – missing/damaged hotspot (complete replacement)
- $50.00 – missing SIM card
- $10.00- missing power cord
- $10.00- missing power adapter
- $10.00 – missing/damaged case
- $1500.00 – missing/damaged laptop
- $65.00- missing case
- $40.00- missing power adapter
- The borrower is solely responsible for the technology and agrees to pay for repair or replacement costs associated with damage or loss and/or accessories sustained while checked out.
- By checking out the hotspot or laptop, you are agreeing to be financially responsible for the device and all its components. Borrowers are responsible to protect against loss or damage of technology items.
- Santa Fe Public Library is not responsible for the loss of any data while using this technology nor personal information that remains on the device after use. The library is using software designed to clear user data on devices when items are returned and before they are checked out again; however patrons are responsible to clear personal data from computers before returning by rebooting the computer.
- Borrower must return the technology to a library staff member who will confirm all parts and accessories in the carrying case are present and in good condition.
Technology CANNOT be returned in the afterhours book drop and must be returned to a library staff member during open hours. A fee of $25.00 will be assessed for any equipment improperly returned via the book return.
The borrower is responsible for verifying the current physical condition of the laptop and that it is in working order when it is checked out. Please report damage, non-working laptops, and laptops with any objectionable material downloaded on them immediately. Unreported issues will become the responsibility of the current borrower.
The laptops may not be used to engage in illegal activities or to disturb other customers. If asked to refrain, the user must comply immediately.
Do not duplicate, remove, or install any software from/on the laptop.
The Library is not responsible for damage to any removable drive (e.g. USB drive or CD) or loss of data that may occur due to user error or malfunctioning hardware/software. Users wishing to save files they have created must save them externally to a flash drive or other storage device or in a cloud storage service. All created files will be wiped clean after a session ends and the laptop is turned off or rebooted.
The Library is not responsible for any computer viruses that may be transferred to or from user storage devices. Laptops use current anti-virus software, but it cannot guarantee protection against all viruses. The Library does not assume responsibility for lost or corrupted files for any reason, such as hardware failure or network interruptions. The Library assumes no responsibility for any damage to Library users’ personal devices, software, files, and/or equipment.
Tampering with Library equipment or attempting to access or modify the operating system or any other software or programming, including bypassing security functions is prohibited.
- To abide by Santa Fe Public Library’s Lending guidelines.
- To abide by the library’s Internet policies. (Available upon request.)
- To pay any fees as detailed in the lending guidelines if the equipment is returned late or improperly to the book drop.
- To ensure safety and security of all equipment and accessories while in my care including to pay all repair and/or replacement costs should the equipment or components/accessories be stolen, lost, not returned or damaged while checked out.
- Failure to follow the terms of agreement could result in the loss of your technology borrowing privileges.
- I acknowledge that anti-theft software has been loaded on each device.
By my signature below I agree that all of my questions have been answered and I agree to abide by everything in the Library Technology Lending Agreement:
_________________________ ________________________________ ____________
Print Name Signature Date
Library Card Number________________________